Specialty Trades Require Special License

Learn about Ohio license requirements for five types of commercial contractors.

Contractor Blog

Read five specialty trades for which Ohio commercial contractor license requirements may also apply to residential contractors.

Trade contractors are essential to Northeast Ohio’s economy. From maintenance and repairs to rehabs to new construction, skilled tradespeople are key to the region’s resilience and growth. While the path from novice to qualified varies according to trade, training and apprenticeship are necessary. Importantly, trade contractors must adhere to the laws and regulations of the jurisdictions in which they operate.

The Ohio Construction Industry Licensing Board regulates commercial contractors and requires licenses for those commercial contractors that perform any of these five trades:

  • Electrical
  • Heating, Ventilating and Air Conditioning (HVAC)
  • Plumbing
  • Hydronics (heating system using water, pipes, boiler)
  • Refrigeration

Residential contractors engaged in any of the above five specialty trades in Ohio may also be subject to the same license requirements as commercial contractors in Ohio. The Ohio Contractor Licensing Law (ORC 4740) allows local jurisdictions to require the State commercial license for residential contractors performing any of those five specialty trades in their jurisdiction.

Applicants must meet specific requirements, in order to obtain and maintain Ohio’s specialty contractor license. For detailed information, click on: com.ohio.gov.
Noted below are a few of the requirements, as well as some of the guidance, provided in the highlighted link:

  • Complete a State and Federal background check prior to sitting for the trade examination.
  • Carry a minimum insurance limit of $500,000.00 for contractor’s liability coverage.
  • All five trades are required to attend continuing education classes.
  • Your license is not transferable to anyone else.
  • Your license can only be assigned to one company (no DBA’s).
  • Your license cannot be used to pull permits for unlicensed contractors.
  • Any help or sub-contractors a licensed contractor pays via a 1099 must also be licensed by the State of Ohio.
  • Expired licenses require you to start over and apply to take the trade test.

Richey-Barrett Insurance is your Trusted Choice Independent Insurance Agency for trade contractor insurance. We work with a variety of types and sizes of trade contractors and are committed to offering quality insurance coverage. Contact us today to discuss your account.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>